Date Classified: December 1, 2021
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Business Unit: Coast Tsimshian Academy
Reporting to: School Principal
The Lax Kw’alaams Band and the Coast Tsimshian Academy has an immediate opening for a full-time and permanent Science Teacher. If you have a passion for science and a gift for inspiring young minds, we are looking for you. We are currently recruiting for a new science teacher to join our outstanding faculty of teachers. You are someone who incorporates technology and hands-on learning experiences into the classroom with enthusiasm.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Create daily lesson plans and learning activities based on BC Ministry of Education standards in science education.
- Plan for class activities, including preparing units and daily lesson plans, identifying materials to implement class activities, preparing class projects, giving students feedback on completed work to ensure mastery of presented material, and grading tests and assignments in a timely manner.
- Deliver high-quality, engaging instruction in the form of discussion, direct teaching, demonstrations and independent practice using various proven methods.
- Differentiate lessons when needed to give all students access to the curriculum regardless of disability, instructional level, English proficiency or level of interest in the subject.
- Evaluate student performance on tasks established by the standards using different methods such as observation, performance-based tasks or other standard test practices.
- Maintain a safe, orderly and supportive classroom by modelling expected behaviour and standards, promoting positive interactions and quickly addressing behaviours that are not in line with the school policy.
- Communicate with parents regularly about schedules, assignments, events, and individual student needs. Meet with parents during scheduled conferences during the school year.
- Improve skills and knowledge in teaching by regularly taking classes, attending workshops and discovering new methods of delivering exciting content to students.
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Only candidates holding certification to teach Science grades 8-12 within British Columbia by September 1, 2021 will be considered. Candidates should hold a post-secondary degree in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Computer Science, Physics or other related fields.
- Experience teaching general science courses in grades 8, 9 or 10.
- Experience and/or training in at least one of the senior streams of science: Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Computer Science, Physics.
- Proven record of professionalism, punctuality, flexibility, dependability, and reliability. Strong communication skills.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently; must be able to schedule and prioritize work.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
- Able to deal with people sensitivity, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $58,000.00 – $95,000.00 per annum.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
- December 10, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected]