Date Classified: November 19, 2021
Business Unit: Recreation
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: Director of Recreation
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent full-time Lifeguard. The successful candidate will provide pool supervision to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment and be capable of providing first aid treatment where necessary. Further, you will be responsible for the overall safety of various swimmers utilizing the pool facilities. You must have the ability to effectively and efficiently protect the safety of swimmers.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Carry out lifeguarding/instructional duties by monitoring safety practices, Red Cross, Lifesaving Society, National Lifeguard Service and Public Health Act Standards to ensure requirements are maintained.
- Lead water exercise classes; provide instruction and evaluation for program/class participants.
- Perform monitoring and reporting functions by advising the Supervisor of general equipment program needs. Carry out comprehensive water testing and adjustments to water chemistry; monitor operating procedures and ensure standards are maintained; maintain records, logs, books, and submit reports as required.
- Assist in maintenance programs including annual maintenance shut-down; maintain facilities by hosing, scrubbing, polishing, cleaning and continued checking of facility and equipment.
- Responsible for first aid related duties; assists with the planning and implementation of special events; the promotion of special events and regular program activities by creating and circulating posters, wall case displays and announcements and program registration and inquiries.
- Take reasonable care to protect your own health and safety and the health and safety of other persons affected by their actions by following health and safety requirements affecting their job. Asking for training if unfamiliar with work that you are requested to perform, working safely and encouraging co-workers to do the same and correcting unsafe conditions or reporting them to your Supervisor.
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Lifesaving NLS Pool Option; Aquatic Emergency Care of Standard 1st Aid (current within 2 years).
- First Aid and CPR Certificate (current and within 1 year); AED Responder (current within 1 year)
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor.
- BCRPA AquaFit Instruction; Lifesaving Instructor; First Aid Instructor; Pool Operators Level 1 & 2.
- Grade 12 Education; Post-Secondary Education is an asset.
- Lifeguarding and swimming instruction. Swimming pool administration.
- An understanding of the Lax Kw’alaams Band and community.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
- The successful candidate will be asked to provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $17.79 per hour.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
- November 26, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected]