July 11, 2019
In accordance with Lax Kw’alaams Band Settlement Trust Agreement: we write to inform you that on July 3 2019, the Band Council passed a band council resolution starting the process for amending the Lax Kw’alaams Indian Band Indian Band Settlement Trust Agreement (2003) (the “Trust Agreement”).
Summary of the proposed amendments
The amendments to the Agreement would redirect members’ access to trust funds through band programs and projects proposed by the Band Council and approved by the Trustees. Some of the key proposed amendments in the Trust Agreement include:
– Expenditure of trust funds would be on Band programs and projects designed for the benefit of the community as a whole.
– Funding from the trust for Band operations and administration, as well as direct loans to members, would not be available.
– Trustees would have the power to issue larger disbursements for Band programs and projects.
– A clear, robust application and review process for funding Band programs and projects.
– Trustees would no longer be required to be ‘ordinarily resident on reserve.’
– To avoid conflicts of interest, Trustees could not also serve on Band Council.
– New appointment procedures would ensure Trustee positions would not remain empty.
– Revised voting procedures would encourage in-person and online voting.
Under Section 20 of the Trust Agreement, a referendum is required to approve amendments to the Trust Agreement. Section 21 of the Trust Agreement describes the referendum process. All adult Members (19 years or older) are eligible to vote in a referendum. These Members will be given notice of the referendum at least 60 days prior to the Referendum date. This notice will include details about why the referendum is being called, the dates and times for information meetings, and instructions for voting. The decision of the referendum will authorize the Band Council and the Trustees to make the amendments approved in the referendum.
Community information sessions
August 7, 2019
Lax Kw’alaams Elders Lodge
August 8, 2019
Prince Rupert Crest Hotel
222-1st Ave West
August 9, 2019
Vancouver River Rock Hotel
8811 River Road, Richmond
The following question will be asked of the Adult Members of Lax Kw’alaams by secret ballot:
“DO YOU APPROVE THE PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO THE LAX KW’ALAAMS INDIAN BAND SETTLEMENT TRUST AGREEMENT (2003)?”
Referendum Vote Locations
September 10, 2019
8:00AM to 8:00PM
Lax Kw’alaams Elders Lodge
Lax Kw’alaams Business Development LP
100 1st Ave East Prince Rupert
You may vote in this referendum in person at a polling location or by mail in ballot.
For more information or assistance in regards to voting events please contact an Electoral Officer:
Phone: (250) 384-8200 Fax: 250 384-5416 Email: [email protected]
PO Box 35008 Hillside Victoria British Columbia V8T 5G2
More info: https://onefeather.ca/nations/lax-kwalaamsby