Special Education Teacher
Lax Kw'alaams, BC
Posted 4 months ago
Date Classified: July 6. 2022
Business Unit: Coast Tsimshian Academy
Reporting to: School Principal
The Lax Kw’alaams Band and the Coast Tsimshian Academy have an opening for a full-time Special Education Teacher. You will work in a collaborative team environment with classroom teachers, counsellors and other support workers. The Special Education Teacher will be responsible for establishing, implementing and reviewing the IEPs and Smart Goals.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Work with other staff members, develop individualized educational programs (IEPs) specific to each student’s needs. These IEPs outline goals and services for each student.
- Implement IEPs, assess student’s performance, and track their progress routinely throughout the year.
- Observe and document learner strengths, achievements, and needs through daily learning activities. Carry out functional (informal) assessment activities to assist the teacher in developing learner profiles.
- Facilitating IEP meetings and creating Behaviour Plans.
- Working with guardians/teachers to create SMART goals; scheduling One-on-One pull-out session.
- Create daily lesson plans based on BC Ministry of Education standards.
- Evaluate student performance on tasks established by the standards using different methods such as observation, performance-based tasks or other standard test practices.
- Maintain a safe, orderly and supportive classroom by modelling expected behaviour and standards, promoting positive interactions and quickly addressing behaviours that are not in line with the school policy.
- Communicate with parents regularly about schedules, assignments, events, and individual student needs. Meet with parents during scheduled conferences during the school year.
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- BC Teacher Certification specializing in Special Education.
- Must have an in-depth knowledge of IEP, SMART goal, and Behaviour plan development/implementation.
- Teaching experience – minimum of 3 years, preferably in a First Nations School.
- In-depth knowledge of the new BC Ed curriculum, and other educational programs.
- Innovative, creative, team player and resourceful.
- Motivational and behavioural techniques.
- Strong organizational and planning skills to accommodate multi-grades and diverse needs.
- Clear Criminal Record Check for working with vulnerable populations.
- Must be fully COVID vaccinated (at least 2 vaccines) and remain in full compliance with all public health orders and Band policies throughout their employment.
- Must have general knowledge of the educational system, learning techniques, socialization process, attitudes, values, aspirations and expectations of the Lax Kw’alaams Band.
- Proven record of professionalism, punctuality, flexibility, dependability, and reliability. Strong communication skills.
- Able to deal with people sensitivity, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Wages will be $58,000.00 – $95,000.00 per annum.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all genders.
- Open until filled.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected]