Date Classified: August 25, 2023
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Business Unit: Lax Kw’alaams Wap Suwilaawksa
Reporting: School Principal
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an opening for a full-time Shop Teacher. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative team environment with classroom teachers, counsellors and other support workers. The successful candidate will teach vocational training subjects, including organizing programs of practical and technical instruction, demonstrations of skills required in trade, and lectures on theory, techniques, and terminology.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Instruct students in subject areas, such as mathematics, science, drawing, use and maintenance of tools and equipment, codes or regulations related to trade, and safety precautions.
- Teach safety rules related to each activity.
- Pursue a variety of methodologies in teaching and instructing students, including lectures, demonstrations and discussions.
- Ensure that instruction meets the learning and development needs of various students. Individualizing and adapting materials and processes to enhance student understanding at their required level.
- Develop a lesson plan and curriculum preparation, including year plan preparation.
- Taking and reporting attendance of students. Consistently meet scheduled deadlines.
- Participate in initiatives to ensure individual students have participated in mandatory school work catch-up sessions.
- Test and evaluate achievement of students in technical knowledge and trade skills.
- Prepare report cards and progress reports.
- Demonstrate skills being taught; assist students in performing skills.
- Maintain a safe, orderly and supportive classroom by modelling expected behaviour and standards, promoting positive interactions and quickly addressing behaviours not in line with the school policy.
- Communicate with parents regularly about schedules, assignments, events and student needs. Meet with parents during scheduled conferences during the school year.
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Completion of apprenticeship training and trade certification is required.
- BC Teacher Certification. Standard First Aid and CPR certification is considered an asset.
- Teaching experience – minimum of 3 years, preferably in a First Nations school.
- In-depth knowledge of the new BC Ed curriculum and other educational programs.
- Innovative, creative, team player and resourceful. Motivational and behavioural techniques.
- Strong organizational and planning skills to accommodate multi-grades and diverse needs.
- Clear Criminal Record Check for working with vulnerable populations.
- Must have general knowledge of the educational system, learning techniques, socialization processes, attitudes, values, aspirations and expectations of the Lax Kw’alaams Band.
- Proven record of professionalism, punctuality, flexibility, dependability, and reliability. Strong communication skills.
- Able to deal with people sensitivity, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
Compensation & Benefits
▪ Wages will be $58,000.00 – $95,000.00 per annum.
▪ This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all genders.
▪ September 8, 2023.
▪ Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Indigenous Ancestry.
▪ We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Manager Email: [email protected]