Payroll Coordinator (Repost)
Lax Kw'alaams Band
Payroll Coordinator (Repost)
Date Classified: April 6, 2023
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Business Unit: Finance Department
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent full-time Payroll Coordinator. The successful candidate will provide payroll, administrative and accounting support by carrying out all the tasks within the payroll cycle so that employees are paid, employee files are current and maintained, payroll liabilities are recorded accurately, and mandatory employee/employer-related costs are remitted.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Process bi-weekly payroll, ensuring timekeeping information for all employees such as overtime, vacation and sick leave arecorrectly entered and approved and appropriate deductions for El, CPP, shared contributions to group insurance, pensionand other deductions are computed.
- Reconcile bi-weekly payroll for accuracy and completeness.
- Manage compensation packages using payroll software.
- Work with HR to maintain an accurate database of relevant employee information to process payroll and ensure thatresulting payroll changes are processed accurately and promptly.
- Create required internal financial & management reports from the payroll system.
- Initiate timely periodic payments by preparing and administering cheques or making direct deposits through a bankpayment system.
- Administer the Band’s benefits programs for the staff, including staff enrolment and benefit payments.
- Prepare government remittances, including WorkSafeBC remittances.
- Review and ensure the accuracy of the system-created T4s.
- Cross-trained to assist in other areas within the finance team as needed.
- Perform all other tasks within the scope of the position, as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Degree or Post-secondary diploma in accounting, finance or a general discipline.
- Training and job support are available for this position if you do not have payroll qualifications and experience but arewilling to pursue formal training.
- Highly computer literate with good Microsoft Excel skills. Experience with Payroll Systems or willing and able to learn.
- You must have excellent attention to detail, a sense of urgency and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of payroll & benefits functions or willing to take the necessary training.
- A team player, able to perform a full range of payroll and finance-related activities as necessary.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
- Provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
- The successful candidate may be asked to be fully COVID vaccinated and remain in full compliance with all public healthorders and Band policies throughout their employment.
Compensation & Benefits
- Because there is an opportunity for training, wages will be $25.00 – $29.89 per hour, depending on the level of training,experience and certifications.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
- April 17, 2023; interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as applications are received.
- Preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry or resident of the community.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Manager of Human Resources at [email protected].