On-Call Janitor Brighter Futures
Date Classified: November 23, 2023
Business Unit: Brighter Futures
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: Brighter Futures Coordinator
The Lax Kw’alaams Band and the Brighter Futures have an immediate opening for an on-call Janitor. The successful candidate is expected to be self-motivated, self-directed and take the initiative in the tasks that need to be completed in a timely manner. The position will be required to be available for work on weekends and weekday/evening shifts.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Empty wastebaskets, dust shelves, window sills, office desks and all other surfaces; wash and wipe down marks on walls.
- Sweeping, mopping and vacuuming floors
- Monitor and ensure that the building premises are locked, secure and safe during unoccupied hours.
- Dust and polish tables, wash, dry and stack coffee cups left in the kitchen. Sanitize surfaces in the kitchen areas.
- Wipe the exterior of the fridges; make sure coffee pot(s) are off and cleaned; wipe down counters.
- Clean and disinfect washroom and fixtures, including stocking adequate soap, towels and other supplies
- Keep the exterior of the building free of garbage, keep stairs and decks free of debris.
- Keep all entrances free of snow and other debris and immediately report hazards to the supervisor
- Act promptly to treat slippery conditions with compounds to eliminate or minimize hazardous conditions when they exist
- Seasonal cleaning (fall and spring) includes stripping and waxing the floors, cleaning the fridges and stoves, emptying and wiping down cupboards and other tasks identified by the Supervisor or a
designate. Clean the windows inside and outside
- Ensure that custodial supplies’ inventory is adequate and up to date; provide ordering requirements to the Supervisor
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a similar role; previous experience with small equipment repair is an asset.
- Knowledge of the safe application of chemicals and products used in cleaning and sanitizing; WHMIS Certificate.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently; must be able to schedule and prioritize work.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
- Able to deal with people sensitivity, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets.
- Ongoing exposure to dust, chemicals, unsanitary conditions; ongoing physical activity like mopping, sweeping, scrubbing, lifting, bending and stretching; physical ability to lift up to 50 lbs.; ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to bend and crouch; work both indoors and outdoors
- Hazards associated with the trade, including exposure to common chemical cleaners.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a healthy lifestyle.
- The successful candidate may be asked to provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
- Remain in full compliance with all public health orders and Band policies.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $24.49 hour.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all genders
- December 7, 2023
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Indigenous Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected]