JOB OPPORTUNITYPayroll Coordinator
Lax Kw'alaams Band
Date Classified: March 9, 2023 Business Unit: Finance Department
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent full-time Payroll Coordinator. The successful candidate will
provide payroll, administrative and accounting support by carrying out all the tasks within the payroll cycle so that employees are paid, employee files are current and maintained, payroll liabilities are recorded accurately, and mandatory employee/employer- related costs are remitted.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
▪ Process bi-weekly payroll ensuring timekeeping information for all employees such as overtime, vacation and sick leave are correctly entered and approved and appropriate deductions for El, CPP, shared contributions to group insurance, pension and other deductions are computed.
▪ Reconcile bi-weekly payroll for accuracy and completeness.
▪ Manage compensation packages using payroll software.
▪ Work with HR to maintain an accurate database of relevant employee information to process payroll and ensure that resulting payroll changes are processed accurately and promptly.
▪ Create required internal financial & management reports from the payroll system.
▪ Initiate timely periodic payments by preparing and administering cheques or making direct deposits through a bank payment system.
▪ Administer the Band’s benefits programs for the staff, including staff enrolment and benefit payments.
▪ Prepare government remittances, including WorkSafeBC remittances.
▪ Review and ensure the accuracy of the system-created T4s.
▪ Cross-trained to assist in other areas within the finance team as needed.
▪ Perform all other tasks as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
▪ Degree or Post-secondary diploma in accounting, finance, or business administration combined with experience using
Microsoft Office and computerized accounting systems.
▪ Five years of experience in a similar position.
▪ Highly computer literate with advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
▪ You must have excellent attention to detail, a sense of urgency and communication skills.
▪ Good understanding of payroll and financial reporting principles and practices.
▪ Good knowledge of payroll & benefits functions.
▪ A team player, able to perform a full range of payroll and finance-related activities as necessary.
▪ Experience working with Payroll Systems or willing and able to learn.
▪ Payworks experience is an asset.
▪ Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
▪ Provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
▪ The successful candidate may be asked to be fully COVID vaccinated and remain in full compliance with all public health orders and Band policies throughout their employment.
Compensation & Benefits
▪ Wages will be $29.89 hourly.
▪ This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
▪ March 24, 2023; interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as applications are received.
▪ Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
▪ We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department at [email protected]