Mental Wellness Worker – Full time
Mental Wellness Worker
Date Classified: May 11, 2023 Business Unit: NNADAP
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: Health Director
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a full-time Mental Wellness Worker. Under the Health Director’s direct supervision, the successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, facilitating and implementing a program to promote a healthy addiction-free lifestyle. Free of substance use for Lax Kw’alaams community members.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
▪ Promote Community Health Development through the provision of education and awareness of the
negative effects of drugs and alcohol; provide educational workshops
▪ Initiate referrals to appropriate Treatment Centre’s as needed;
▪ Recommend and provide alternatives to the use of alcohol and drugs (social, cultural, recreational
activities that will involve the client and/or their families);
▪ Develop and maintain a library of resource material for use by the recovering client;
▪ Assist individuals in their quest for sobriety (researching suitable rehabilitation, assisting with
admittance, follow-up care, etc.)
▪ Establish support groups within the Band as required;
▪ Develop an aftercare program for those clients returning from treatment to avoid relapse;
▪ Schedule appointments with clients to assist with recovery
▪ Reporting as required by the funding agency, Mayor and Council
▪ Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
▪ Post-Secondary Diploma in a related field (Social Service Worker, Child and Youth Worker, addictions
counselling, etc.); a Master’s Degree is desirable. Willing to train and mentor the “right” candidate.
▪ Strong working knowledge of First Nations culture.
▪ Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
▪ Previous experience in a health-related field will be considered an asset.
▪ Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation.
▪ The successful candidate will be asked to provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a
Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
▪ Must have good interpersonal skills and excellent verbal/ written communication skills.
▪ Must be able to work both autonomously and within a team setting; maintain confidentiality.
▪ Must have good organizational skills, be flexible, and responsible.
▪ Should have a good knowledge of the health, social and community service sector.
▪ Open to learning and be being part of a dynamic team.
Compensation & Benefits
▪ Wages will be $28.70 per hour + cola (cost of living allowance) as of April 1, 2023.
▪ This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all genders.
▪ Health and Dental Benefits
▪ May 26,2023.
▪ Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of
▪ We invite all interested to send resume and cover letter, in the strictest confidence to the Human
Resources Manager. Email: [email protected]