Human Resources Manager
Lax Kw'alaams, BC
Posted 4 months ago
Date Classified: September 20, 2022
Business Unit: Human Resources Department
Reporting to: Chief Administrative Officer
The Lax KW’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent and full-time Human Resources Manager. The successful candidate will perform a range of Human Resources related duties that include ensuring the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the Lax Kw’alaams Band Human Resources plans and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with managers and staff related to human resources programs.
- Maintain and update employee files, ensuring all files are kept confidential in keeping with privacy and legislation.
- Complete all hire, change and separation paperwork.
- Work with managers to ensure job descriptions are updated.
- Interpret policies and provide related assistance and advice to managers and staff.
- Provide coaching, advice and assistance on HR matters to employees and managers as required.
- Recommend policy and process changes to improve staff morale, satisfaction and engagement.
- Oversee employee relations issues (e.g., employee complaints) in accordance with all legal requirements.
- Proactive management of WorkSafeBC injury and other disability claims focusing on prevention and return to work, and liaising with WorkSafeBC and insurance providers on claims.
- Investigate accidents thoroughly and effectively in collaboration with the department managers, ensure accident claims are appropriately processed and prepare related reports and recommendations.
- Oversee recruitment, employee training and development within the Band.
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Personable, able to comfortably and pleasantly deal with a variety of people.
- Ability to correctly make decisions involving staff issues/problems according to legislation, HR Manual and applicable Collective Agreements. Strong customer service skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills. Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and emails.
- Two (2) years of education and experience are an asset, but willing to train someone passionate about HR.
- A diploma or certificate in human resources or related field is an asset or willingness to obtain.
- Experience, preferably in an Indigenous organization, or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, training, or experience in related fields.
- Relevant legislation and regulations, including knowledge of Employment Standards, Human Rights, Accessibility and Occupational Health and safety regulations, are assets.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
- Valid BC driver’s license or in the process of getting one.
- Provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
- The successful candidate must be fully COVID vaccinated and remain in full compliance with all public health orders and Band policies throughout their employment.
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
- Open until filled.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected]