Lax Kw'alaams BAnd
Date Classified: April 28, 2023
Business Unit: Housing Department
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: Director of Housing
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent full-time Housing Clerk. Working as part of the Housing Team to provide housing service for all tenants and deal with general enquiries on a wide range of housing-related issues and involves making agreements and arrangements regarding tenants’ accounts and supporting the Housing Team.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Coordinate communication correspondence from tenants in respect of their rent accounts via telephone or in-person;
- Maintain tenants former and current rent accounts, setting up agreements and arrangements to clear arrears;
- Provide support, guidance, and assistance to the Band’s Housing Committee;
- Provide administrative back up to Housing Team, inputting data onto computerized systems;
- Send standard letters and non-standard letters as and when required by Housing;
- Track and collect rent payments, security deposits, and follow-up and address late payments and eviction notices;
- Assist in the process of acquiring tenants by marketing available units, accepting and reviewing applications, and preparing and tracking rental agreements;
- Coordinate move-in and move-out dates, including unit inspections and related paperwork;
- Ensure that the Band’s housing policies and by-laws are consistently implemented and enforced;
- Work with tenants to resolve housing concerns and complaints and maintain a record of issues addressed;
- Maintain a record of required housing maintenance and assess and prioritize work to be assigned to the maintenance staff;
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
- Perform all other tasks within the scope of the position and as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Grade 12 or equivalent;
- Administrative Assistant program certificate preferred;
- Two years of relevant office experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience;
- Good computer skills with Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Outlook, and Excel;
- Ability to draft business correspondence based on general direction;
- Good organizational and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; willing to take job-specific training, e.g. CMHC courses; ▪ Administrative office assistant certificate is preferred, but not required.
- Physical and mental ability to perform the duties of the position;
- Respect diversity – treat others with respect; avoid unnecessary conflict;
- Attend meetings as required for the proper administration of duties;
- Valid BC drivers’ license with clean driver’s abstract;
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle;
- The successful candidate will be asked to provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $23.58 hourly + Cola( Cost of Living Allowance) as of April 1 2023.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position.
- This position is open to all applicants.
- May 12, 2023
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Manager at [email protected]