Date Classified: January 31, 2022
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Business Unit: Education Department
Reporting to: Education Coordinator
The Education Department has an immediate opening for a part-time Janitor (4 hours a day/5 days a week). Reporting to the Education Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for cleaning all the areas of the Adult Learning Centres.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Empty wastebaskets, dust shelves, window sills, office desks and all other surfaces; wash and wipe down marks on walls.
- Sweeping, mopping and vacuuming floors.
- Monitor and ensure that the doors and windows are locked, secure and safe during unoccupied hours.
- Dust and polish tables, wash, dry and stack coffee cups left in the kitchen. Sanitize surfaces in the kitchen areas. Wipe exterior of the fridges; make sure coffee pot(s) are off and cleaned; wipe down counters.
- Clean and disinfect washroom and fixtures, including stocking adequate soap, towels and other supplies.
- Seasonal cleaning (fall and spring) includes stripping and waxing the floors, cleaning the fridges and stoves, emptying and wiping down cupboards and other tasks identified by the Supervisor or a designate. Clean the windows (inside and outside).
- Ensure that custodial supplies’ inventory is adequate and up to date; provide ordering requirements to the Supervisor.
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in a similar role; previous experience with small equipment repair is an asset.
- Knowledge of the safe application of chemicals and products used in cleaning and sanitizing; WHMIS Certificate.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently; must be able to schedule and prioritize work.
- Able to deal with people sensitivity, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
- Valid BC drivers’ license with clean driver’s abstract.
- Provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
- The successful candidate must be fully COVID vaccinated and remain in full compliance with all public health orders and Band policies throughout their employment.
- Ongoing exposure to dust, chemicals, rotting food, and unsanitary conditions; ongoing physical activity like mopping, sweeping, scrubbing, lifting, bending and stretching; physical ability to lift up to 75 lbs.; ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to bend and crouch; work both indoors and outdoors.
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. masks, gloves, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Hazards associated with the trade, including exposure to common chemical cleaners.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $21.50/hour.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
- February 7, 2022
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected]