Date Classified: August 30, 2021
Business Unit: Recreation
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: Director of Recreation
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent full-time Janitor. The successful candidate will perform a variety of duties related to the cleaning and upkeep of the Recreation Department that includes the Pool, Change Rooms, Washrooms, Lobby, Weight Room, Gymnasium and some upstairs areas. You will be detailed orientated and take pride in your work.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Maintenance and cleaning duties, as required, for all areas of the building such as, but not limited to:
- Cleaning and Hosing Pool Deck and Change Rooms.
- Cleaning, Dusting, Sweeping, Vacuuming, Mopping and Re-stocking Supplies in the Lobby, Weight Room, Gymnasium and Wash Rooms.
- Cleaning the exterior of the Recreation Centre.
- Operate a variety of caretaking equipment such as a vacuum cleaner, auto-scrubbers, as well as utilize required equipment such as ladders and other cleaning-related power tools safely;
- Empty wastebaskets, dust shelves, dust window sills, dust desks and all surfaces, wash and wipe down marks on walls;
- Monitor and ensure that the building premises are locked, secure and safe during unoccupied hours;
- Dust and polish tables, wash, dry and stack coffee cups left in the kitchen. Sanitize cooking surfaces (stove, microwave) in the kitchen areas. Wipe exterior of the fridges;
- Sweep, mop, vacuum, buff, strip, wax and/or shampoo floors as scheduled or required;
- Washrooms: cleaning and disinfecting washroom and fixtures, including ordering and stocking adequate soap, towels and other supplies;
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a similar role
- Previous experience with small equipment repair is an asset; WHMIS Certificate
- Highly motivated and able to work independently; must be able to schedule and prioritize work
- Ability to comprehend and communicate detailed instructions verbally and in writing
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills; strong attention to details
- Able to deal with people sensitivity, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets
- Physical ability to lift up to 75 lbs.; ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to bend and crouch; work both indoors and outdoors
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $21.08/hour.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to male and female applicants. Open to all gender.
- September 10, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected].