Health Care Aide
Date Classified: July 12, 2021
Business Unit: Health Centre
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: Health Director
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a Casual and On-Call Health Care Aide. The successful candidate will deliver services in an appropriate, caring and respectful manner and is compliant with current legislation and policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Takes direction from Home Care Nurse as it pertains to the position tasks;
- Able to assist with palliation of clients that wish to palliate at home;
- Provide care and companionship for individuals and families;
- Escort clients to medical appointments as needed;
- Assist in making meals for clients in their home if needed and assist Meals on Wheels as needed;
- Perform health-related duties through all ages, such as changing dressings and assisting with the care of individuals with direction from Home Care Nurse or Clinic RN’s;
- Provide information to other health care professionals as required and complete appropriate documentation on client charts in a timely manner;
- Follow Health and Safety principles in delivering care to clients in the community;
- Encourage and educate clients and families advocating on behalf of the clients;
- Attend and participate in team meetings;
- Must be responsible and ethical, shows compassion and empathy;
- Show good time management and organization. Maintain client confidentiality;
- Facilitate community engagement workshops for Men/Women/Children and Families;
- Perform all other tasks within the scope of the position and as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Must have completed minimum grade 12;
- Must have Personal Care Aide Certification;
- Experience in a First Nations community;
- Minimum 5 years experience as a PCA;
- Able to do all Vital Signs;
- Excellent Computer Office Skills;
- First Aide and CPR preferred or willing to take;
- A valid driver’s license;
- Good organizational skills, verbal and written communication skills, conflict resolution, time management, interpersonal skills; confidentiality, professional conduct, sound judgement, respectful, diplomacy, empathy, sympathy and integrity;
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle;
- The successful candidate will be asked to provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $21.70 hourly.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to male and female applicants.
- July 23, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department at [email protected]