Date Classified: October 27, 2021
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Business Unit: Brighter Futures
Reporting to: Health Director
The Lax Kw’alaams Band and the Brighter Futures has an immediate opening for a part-time Janitor. Reporting to the Health Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for cleaning all Brighter Futures areas and/or assigned. The incumbent is expected to be self-motivated, self-directed, and take the initiative in the tasks that need to be completed in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Empty wastebaskets, dust shelves, window sills, office desks and all other surfaces; wash and wipe down marks on walls;
- Sweeping, mopping and vacuuming floors;
- Monitor and ensure that the building premises are locked, secure and safe during unoccupied hours.
- Dust and polish tables, wash, dry and stack coffee cups left in the kitchen. Sanitize surfaces in the kitchen areas. Wipe exterior of the fridges; make sure coffee pot(s) are off and cleaned; wipe down counters;
- Clean and disinfect washroom and fixtures, including stocking adequate soap, towels and other supplies;
- Keep exterior of building free of garbage, keep stairs and decks free of debris. Keep all entrances free of snow and other debris and report hazards to the Supervisor immediately. Act promptly to treat slippery conditions with compounds to eliminate or minimize hazardous conditions when they exist;
- Seasonal cleaning (fall and spring) includes stripping and waxing the floors, cleaning the fridges and stoves, emptying and wiping down cupboards and other tasks identified by the Supervisor or a designate. Clean the windows (inside and outside);
- Ensure that custodial supplies’ inventory is adequate and up to date; provide ordering requirements to the Supervisor;
- Perform other tasks within the scope of the position.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a similar role; previous experience with small equipment repair is an asset.
- Knowledge of the safe application of chemicals and products used in cleaning and sanitizing; WHMIS Certificate.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently; must be able to schedule and prioritize work.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
- Able to deal with people sensitivity, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets.
- Ongoing exposure to dust, chemicals, rotting food, and unsanitary conditions; ongoing physical activity like mopping, sweeping, scrubbing, lifting, bending and stretching; physical ability to lift up to 75 lbs.; ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to bend and crouch; work both indoors and outdoors.
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Hazards associated with the trade, including exposure to common chemical cleaners.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $21.56/hour.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
- November 3, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department: [email protected].