Date Classified: August 10, 2021
Business Unit: Education
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: School Principal
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent full-time Vice Principal. The successful person will support the School Principal with matters related to K-12 Education, which includes developing, updating, planning, and implementing educational programs. He/she is expected to assume duties assigned by the Principal whenever the Principal is absent.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Build positive working relationships with members of the school community and assist with engaging staff, parents and community members;
- Engage members of the school community to build a shared understanding of current trends and priorities in the education system;
- Promote innovation, enable positive change and foster commitment to continuous improvement;
- Nurture and sustain a culture that supports evidence-informed teaching and learning;
- Support the Application of Foundational Knowledge about First Nations;
- Assist with implementing professional growth, supervision and evaluation processes to ensure that all teachers meet the Teaching Quality Standard of the Coast Tsimshian Academy;
- Ensure that student assessment and evaluation practices are fair, appropriate, and evidence-informed;
- Help to facilitate access to resources, agencies and experts within and outside the school community to enhance student learning and development;
- Ensure the school operations align with provincial legislation, regulations and applicable policies;
- Assist with the supervision and monitoring of the daily operational activities of the school and staff in accordance with the Collective Agreement;
- Assist with preparing and providing reports for funding agencies to support programs and activities;
- Perform all other tasks within the scope of the position, as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field with at least 5 years related work experience, to include 3 years’ classroom experience in adult basic skills and 2 years supervisory experience; or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the role successfully.
- A Principal certification and/or willingness to work towards a Principal’s certification.
- Current BC Teacher’s Certificate in good standing and at least five (5) years experience in a related field.
- A comprehensive understanding of First Nations adult and post-secondary education and First Nations issues in BC.
- Working knowledge of Ministry Curriculum and Assessment Documents.
- Experience working within a First Nation educational setting with Indigenous Services Canada (ISC).
- Working knowledge of government policies, programs and curriculums.
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and tight timelines.
- Valid BC drivers’ license with clean driver’s abstract.
- Provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
- August 20, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the HR Department at [email protected].