Date Classified: July 19, 2021
Business Unit: Education
Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC
Reporting to: Chief Administrative Officer
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an immediate opening for a permanent full-time School Principal. The successful person will provide support to matters related to K-12 Education, which includes developing, updating, planning, and implementing educational programs.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Create a sense of community in the school setting and engage the students, staff, parents, community members, Mayor and Council, and external agencies in the school program;
- Review the Strategic Plan for Education on an annual basis and revise as required;
- Develop and implement annual work plans and related budgets for the school and its various programs;
- Coordinate and facilitate Education meetings with various stakeholders, including the community, staff, First Nations Schools Association, First Nation Education Steering Committee and other government agencies;
- Contribute to the development and ongoing review of broad curricula for all levels of education and training;
- Take the necessary steps to provide a safe and caring environment that fosters well-being and maintain respectful and responsible behaviour throughout the school;
- Facilitate and employ a team approach; valuing team members, encouraging full participation and showing staff appreciation. Seek feedback from the team and provide feedback as needed; build capacity;
- Supervise and monitor the daily operational activities of the school and staff in accordance with the Collective Agreement;
- Assign staff as necessary to ensure completion of special projects in a timely manner;
- Monitor activities of the school programs and initiatives, and take corrective action when necessary, to ensure the efficient and effective use of financial and human resource and capital assets;
- Work with other internal departments to ensure reporting deadlines and requirements are met;
- Prepare and provide reports for funding agencies for funding received to support programs and activities;
- Perform all other tasks within the scope of the position, as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- Master’s degree in Education or related field with at least 5 years related work experience, to include 3 years’ classroom experience in adult basic skills and 2 years’ supervisory experience; or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the role successfully.
- A Principal certification and/or willingness to work towards a Principal’s certification.
- Current BC Teacher’s Certificate in good standing and at least five (5) years’ experience in a related field.
- A comprehensive understanding of First Nations adult and post-secondary education and First Nations issues in BC.
- Working knowledge of Ministry Curriculum and Assessment Documents.
- Experience working within a First Nation educational setting with Indigenous Services Canada (ISC).
- Working knowledge of government policies, programs and curriculums.
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and tight timelines.
- Valid BC drivers’ license with clean driver’s abstract.
- Provide a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
- August 6, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the HR Department at [email protected]