Lax Kw’alaams Volunteer Fire Department
To help reduce the number of preventable wildfires, people wanting to light an open fire must watch for changing weather conditions and follow all burning regulations.
They should also take the following precautions:
• Ensure that enough resources are on hand to control the fire and prevent it from escaping.
• Do not burn during windy conditions. Weather conditions can change quickly and the wind may carry embers to other combustible material and start new fires.
• Create an appropriately sized fireguard around the planned fire site by clearing away twigs, grass, leaves and other combustible material, right down to the mineral soil.
• Consider conducting smaller burns around the perimeter of the main fire site before lighting the main fire. This will create a fuel break and help prevent the fire spreading beyond its intended size.
• Never leave a fire unattended.
• Make sure the fire is completely extinguished and the ashes are cold to the touch before leaving the area for any length of time.
Contact the Fire Hall for more information – 250-625-3233by