Date Classified: December 14, 2021 Business Unit: Housing Department Location: Lax Kw’alaams, BC Reporting to: Manager of Housing
The Lax Kw’alaams Band has an opening for a temporary full-time General Labourer. The successful candidate should be able to follow instructions, wear steel-toe boots and other industry specified Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times, complete work assigned by the required deadline, be physically fit, demonstrate wellness, and be able to lift up to 50 pounds. The start date would be Jan 10, 2022 and ending March 31, 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Provide manual labour on various tasks and assignments.
- Assist with carpentry, painting, labourer and minor plumbing work for community buildings repairs and renovations.
- Perform a variety of tasks, including landscaping, weeding, raking, garbage collection, sweeping and clean-up.
- Maintain the tools on the job site, using and storing them properly and securely at the end of every day.
- Operate basic hand tools such as shovels, rakes etc.
- Operate basic power tools such as brush cutters, chain saws, electric drills, etc.
- Must be physically able to complete a variety of General Labourer tasks.
- Must be able to tolerate a dusty and noisy work environment.
- Must have a strong work ethic and commit to the work schedule.
- Operate Band owned equipment in accordance with qualifications, experience and training.
- Participate in training sessions, workshops, and short courses to upgrade skills and keep informed on new department and position-related developments.
- Follow a timekeeping system as directed by the Supervisor.
- Perform all other tasks within the scope of the position and as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Self-motivated, ability to work safely and independently without constant supervision.
- Must be able to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with body, arms and/or legs.
- Care about the quality of work; can work well on a team and follow safety standards.
- Experience using (or ability to learn) power equipment and capable of learning through on-the-job training.
- Able to work inside and outside in year-round weather conditions.
- In good physical condition, able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs., sit and stand for extended periods, kneel, climb ladders, and walk on varied terrain.
- Respect diversity – treat others with respect; avoid unnecessary conflict.
- Valid BC drivers’ license with clean driver’s abstract.
- Complete Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) and First-Aid Level 1 upon hiring.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to embodying a personal addiction-free lifestyle.
- A current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment.
Compensation & Benefits
- Wages will be $21.50 hourly.
- This is a Bargaining Unit position and is open to all gender.
- December 31, 2021.
- Pursuant to Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry.
- We invite all interested parties to reply in the strictest confidence to the Human Resources Department at [email protected]