The Government of Canada has announced that there will be a one time top up of the Canada Housing Benefit. See below for more information, and visit the Government of Canada’s website here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/taxes/child-and-family-benefits/top-up-canada-housing-benefit.html
One-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit
The one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit aims to help low-income renters with the cost of renting. You may be eligible for a tax-free one-time payment of $500 if your income and the amount that you pay on rent qualify.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers this one-time payment. To apply for this new federal one-time payment, you do not need to receive other housing benefits such as the Canada Housing Benefit, which is co-funded and delivered by the provinces and territories.
Applications are open until Friday, March 31, 2023.https://www.canada.ca/en/services/taxes/child-and-family-benefits/top-up-canada-housing-benefit.html
Who can apply
Ensure you are eligible before you apply for the one-time payment.
– You were born on or before December 1, 2007 (at least 15 years old on December 1, 2022)
– Your principal residence was in Canada on December 1, 2022
– You were a resident of Canada in 2022 for tax purposes
– You have filed your 2021 income tax return or statement of income AND iIf you have a spouse or common-law partner, they have filed their 2021 income tax return or statement of income
– In 2021, you had an adjusted family net income of: $35,000 or less for families OR $20,000 or less for individuals
– The 2022 eligible rent that you paid was: paid in the 2022 calendar year, paid for any of your qualifying principal residences in 2022, equal to at least 30% of your 2021 adjusted family net income
You must meet all the above criteria to be eligible for the one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit.https://www.canada.ca/en/services/taxes/child-and-family-benefits/top-up-canada-housing-benefit/who-apply.html
For more information, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency. Lax Kw’alaams Band staff will not be able to assist with completing CRA applications. Contact the CRA here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/taxes/child-and-family-benefits/top-up-canada-housing-benefit/contact.htmlby