We are currently seeking an experienced professional to fill the role of Assistant to the Chief Administrative Officer. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team responsible for managing the programs and services of one of the BC’s largest First Nations. Lax Kw’alaams is located on the northwestern coast of British Columbia, approximately 35 km from Prince Rupert. The community is accessible by ferry daily.
Key Accountabilities and Scope:
Accountable to the Chief Administrative Officer, you will be responsible for the management, organization, coordination, research, and planning as it relates to specific functions and activities of the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer including preparation of reports for internal and external use, general correspondence, management of specific programs, preparation of communication material, policy research and contract administration.
General areas of responsibility include:
- Administration – Serve as the primary point of administrative contact and liaison, and provide general administrative support.
- Communication – Provide a broad range of communication support and assists in the administration, preparation and distribution of various documents and correspondence.
- Research and Reporting – Research information, compile statistics, gather and compute various data and prepare regular and/or ad hoc reports, summaries, or replies to inquiries
- Compile and prepare ongoing project budgets, make recommendations for purchases, and manage expenditures within designated projects.
- Human Resources – Support the Chief Administrative Officer in various HR Related tasks.
- Other – Work closely with and supports the Chief Administrative Officer on special initiatives
Experience and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in management, accounting, finance and/or administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of increasingly responsible experience in a First Nation organization, non-profit organization, or the public sector.
- Knowledge of First Nations political, governance, and community structures and complex funding arrangements pertaining to programs and services; management principles and procedures; principles of supervision, basic accounting and budget preparation; and administrative law.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgements on sensitive, confidential issues, demonstrating tact, in initiative and flexibility.
- Ability to work independently and expeditiously under tight timeframes and competing priorities.
- Ability to identify problems, determine possible solutions and actively work to resolve issues by focusing on listening and understanding; and equitably create common agreements and settle difficult disputes.
- Superior level of computer literacy, especially word processing, spread sheets, electronic mail and calendar management software, presentation software and research engines and tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate complex information, and capability for drafting and editing a variety of written reports and materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals in the organization, communities, and federal and provincial representatives.
- Excellent relationship building and conflict resolution skills with an ability to interact and work effectively with senior individuals.
- Excellent analysis skills.
If you are and experienced manager willing to make an impact on the community, then this is an exciting opportunity worth exploring. This role will appeal to a self-motivated professional with exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills. Salary will be based on education, experience, and qualifications of the successful candidate.
Kindly submit a cover letter, resume and three current professional references to:
Lax Kw’alaams Band
Attn: Chief Administrative Officer
206 Shashaak Street
Lax Kw’alaams, BC V0V 1H0
Email : [email protected]
Closing date for applications is 1:00 pm – Friday July 24, 2020
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. A criminal record check must be submitted prior to a formal offer to the successful candidate.